Tuesday 21 November 2017

What We Ate Wednesday--Roasted Chickpeas (two ways)

Hello lovelies! My goodness, it has been a busy week. I have been rushed off my feet meeting deadlines and have needed some quick and easy meals to get me through.

I was so rushed, in fact, that I forgot to post a recipe last week. Shock! Horror! I only realised I had missed a week when it came time to write this week's recipe. My apologies, loyal readers. As repayment for my forgetfulness, I shall give you two recipes for the price of one (and since you don't actually pay anything to read this, that's a pretty sweet deal!)

Last week I tried out two new roasted chickpea recipes. You can't go wrong with roasted chickpeas. Throw on some oil and spices and roast for 30 minutes and they become chewy, slightly crispy and 100% delicious. There are a zillion combinations, depending on which spices you use. Here are two very different ones that were equally yummy

I adapted this first recipe from one that was meant to be a tempeh marinade. I have nothing against tempeh except the price. A packet of this fermented soya costs around £3 to £4 and a tin of chickpeas costs me 33p. You do the math.

The original recipe comes from {HERE}

Indian Roasted Chickpeas with Potatoes, Mango and Kale
Preheat your oven to 200C/400F

In your largest roasting tin add the following:
1 tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 small onion, diced small
half a pepper, diced small
one small carrot, diced small

Marinade:
In a small bowl mix the following and pour it over the chickpeas mixture, stir well to coat.
1 TB oil
1 TB tamari or soy sauce
1 TB liquid sweetener (agave, maple syrup or the one I used golden syrup)
2 cloves crushed garlic
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp (or to taste) red chilli flakes
1 tsp ground ginger

Bake for 30 minutes stirring halfway. Serve with potatoes boiled in vegetable stock, a chopped mango and sauteed kale or other favourite greens. I used a heaping cup of frozen mango that had been defrosted over night in my fridge instead of fresh mango as frozen is cheaper.


Mediterranean Chickpeas with Lemon Potatoes
 I just used the spice profile for a recipe for Mediterranean chicken and used it in a cruelty free way. I often use lemon juice from a bottle, but this recipe really benefits from the brightness of a fresh lemon.

Preheat your oven to 200C/400F

In your largest roasting tin add the following:
1 tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 small onion, diced small
half a pepper, diced small
one small carrot, diced small

Marinade:
In a small bowl mix the following and pour it over the chickpeas mixture, stir well to coat.
1 TB oil
Zest of one fresh lemon
Juice of half a lemon (save the juice of the other half for the potatoes)
1 TB red wine vinegar
1 tsp each dried basil, oregano and parsley
1/2 tsp salt
2 cloves crushed garlic

Bake for 30 minutes stirring halfway. Serve with potatoes boiled in vegetable stock. After the potatoes are cooked and drained add the remaining juice of other half a lemon and some chopped oil packed sun dried tomatoes plus salt and pepper and a dash of mixed herbs.

I made it with potatoes as that is what we had, but the next time we eat this (and there will be a next time) I will make it with my Greek Salad with Feta mushrooms. you can find that recipe {HERE}

So, sorry for forgetting a week. Hope that having two roasted chickpea recipes makes up for that. They are both delicious and economical and as always cruelty free. 

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy. Last night we had crushed garlic Parmesan potatoes. Carl had a nice recipe, the mixture coated the potato cubes and baked all brown and crunchy. You would have liked them

    ReplyDelete